Every “Retail Package” and “Wholesale Package” shall bear thereon or on a label securely affixed thereto, a definite, plain and conspicuous declaration made in accordance with the provisions of Chapter II of the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011.
What is Retail Package?
Retail package means the package which is intended for retail sale to the ultimate consumer for the purpose of consumption of the commodity contained therein and includes imported packages.
What is Wholesale Package?
Wholesale Package means a package containing –
- a number of retail packages, where such first-mentioned package is intended for sale, distribution or delivery to an intermediary and is not intended for sale directly to a single consumer; or
Chapter II does not apply to –
- Packages of commodities containing a quantity of more than 25 kilograms or 25 liters;
- Cement, fertilizer and agricultural farm produce sold in bags above 50 kilograms;
- Packaged commodities meant for industrial consumers or institutional consumers.
Chapter V provides for exemptions as–
Rule 26 – Nothing contained in these rules shall apply to any packages containing a commodity if –
- The net weight or measure of the commodity is ten gram or ten milliliters or less if sold by weight or measure;
[Provided that the provisions of this clause shall not be applicable for tobacco and tobacco products.]
- Any package containing fast food items packed by restaurant or hotel and the like;
- It contains scheduled formulations and non-scheduled formulations covered under the Drugs (Price Control) Order, 2013 made under section 3 of the Essential Commodities Act, 1955
[Provided that no such exemption shall be applicable to medical devices declared as drugs.]
- Any thread which is sold in the coil to handloom weavers.
Our experts will help you to make sure that your packaged commodity offered for sale is in compliance with the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011 requirements.
Do you have any queries?
Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
This information is in summary form and is therefore intended for general guidance only. It is not intended to be a substitute for detailed research or the exercise of professional judgment. Mind Sync does not accept any responsibility for loss occasioned to any person acting or refraining from action as a result of any information provided herein. On any specific matter, reference should be made to the appropriate advisor.