The FCRA (Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act) was enacted with the primary purpose of regulating the inflow of foreign contributions and ensuring that the foreign contributions received are not utilized for any activities detrimental to national interest.
FCRA Department comes under the Ministry of Home Affairs. Societies, Charitable Trusts, Section 8 Company receiving foreign contributions are required to get registered under Section 6(1) of Foreign Contribution Regulation Act, 2010.
Types of FCRA Registration
 FCRA registration
 Prior Permissions (PP)
Eligibility Criteria for FCRA registration
- Association looking for FCRA registration should be registered either under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 or the Indian Trusts Act, 1882 or under Section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013;
- The association should have spent at least Rs.10,00,000/- over the last 3 years on its aims and objects, excluding administrative expenditure;
- To get registered, Statements of Income & Expenditure, duly audited by Chartered Accountant, for last 3 years are to be submitted to substantiate that it meets the financial parameter.
Eligibility Criteria for Prior Permission
A newly registered organization if wants to receive foreign contribution may apply for grant of prior permission under FCRA, 2010. Prior permission is granted for receipt of a specific amount from a specific donor for carrying out specific activities/projects. For this purpose, the association should meet following criteria:
- Should be registered either under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 or the Indian Trusts Act, 1882 or under Section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013;
- Submit a specific commitment letter from the donor indicating the amount of foreign contribution and the purpose for which it is proposed to be given.
Process of FCRA Registration
Application for grant of registration / prior permission is to be submitted online in form FC-3. To register under FCRA, the organisation/NGO must have a DARPAN ID. For this ID, it is required to register on DARPAN portal provided the NITI Ayog.
Validity & Renewal
Registration shall be valid for a period of 5 years and thereafter application for renewal of registration can be made before 6 months from the expiry of their existing registration. In case of Prior Permission, the validity ends once the foreign contribution is completely used, for which the permission was/is allowed.